The last few months have been tough on small businesses, including our local restaurants. The good news is, there is an easy (and delicious) way to help and that’s getting food from your favorite Norman, Mustang and OKC restaurants. Many offer take-out, curbside pickup and, sometimes, delivery. If it’s within your means, order a meal and show your support. Being that we’re orthodontists here at Craig & Streight Orthodontics, we’re sharing some of our favorite places to eat local that have braces-friendly food options. Of course, we can’t list everyone, so we would encourage you to check-in with your favorite spots too.
What to Eat With Braces
Before we dive into our restaurant recommendations, let’s have a quick refresher on what to eat with braces, as well as the foods to stay away from. In general, you can eat most of the things you love when you’re in orthodontic treatment. However, there are some foods to avoid with braces, including anything really hard (e.g., hard candy, nuts, popcorn that’s not fully popped, whole, raw apples or carrots, some chips, etc.), chewy (e.g., hard rolls, bagels, licorice) and sticky (e.g., Starburst, caramel, taffy, etc.). You’ll also want to avoid biting directly into foods, so take corn off the cob and meat off the bone. Cut everything into bite-size pieces and chew with your back teeth.
While everything else, aside from the foods we mentioned, is still on the menu when you have braces, when you first get them on and following adjustments, your teeth can be a little sore. Sticking with soft foods and cold drinks like smoothies, milkshakes, yogurt, applesauce and soup is your best bet until the discomfort subsides.
Norman, Mustang and OKC Restaurants With Braces-Friendly Food
- The Press – 1610 N Gatewood Ave., Oklahoma City, OK – The Press serves up Southern and Southwestern comfort food. In addition to their regular menu, The Press is also offering family meals for pickup on Sundays with a new menu each week. The restaurant has takeout and curbside pickup, as well as delivery through popular delivery apps. Our favorite braces-friendly food options: Meatloaf, chili mac, and shrimp and grits.
- Cajun Corner – 9200 N Council Road, Suite A and 312 NW 23rd Street, Oklahoma City, OK – Another of our favorite OKC restaurants, Cajun Corner, serves delicious Oklahoma-inspired Cajun food at two locations. You can get delivery through Doordash or Postmates or you can order online for pickup. Our favorite braces-friendly food options: Cream sauce étouffée and specialty gumbo.
- Cheever’s Café – 2409 N Hudson Ave, Oklahoma City, OK – Cheever’s Café offers upscale Southern and Southwestern food. The dining room is open but they are also offering curbside pick-up and delivery via Postmates. Our favorite braces-friendly food options: Cauliflower bread pudding and carbonara.
- Tamashii Ramen – 321 NW 8th Street, Oklahoma City, OK – Ramen is about as braces-friendly as it gets and Tamashii Ramen is fantastic. They are open for dining but you can also call for curbside pickup. Our favorite braces-friendly food options: Spicy ramen, miso corn ramen and vegan ramen.
- The Winston – 106 W Main Street, Norman, OK – The Winston is one of our favorite Norman restaurants and they serve classic American comfort food with modern flair. They’re open and also offering curbside pickup and delivery with online ordering. Our favorite braces-friendly food options: Roasted vegetable quinoa stew and chipotle meatloaf. The burgers are also great but be sure to cut them into bite-size pieces if you have braces.
- Kebabish Bites – 1320 E Lindsey Street, Norman, OK – This Norman, OK restaurant offers delicious Indian and Pakinstani fare. You can order for pickup or delivery. Our favorite braces-friendly food options: Butter chicken, veggie biryani and chicken tikka masala.
- Benvenuti’s Ristorante – 105 W Main Street, Norman, OK – Benvenuti’s is another of our favorite Norman restaurants. You’ll find elevated Italian food with modern touches. Their dining room is open and they’re also offering curbside pickup. Our favorite braces-friendly food options: Mushroom rigatoni, chicken piccata and frutti di mare.
- Toledo’s Mexican Grill – 32 W Armstrong Dr, Mustang, OK – Toledo’s is a Mustang Mexican restaurant with fresh, tasty options. The dining room is open with space limitations, however, you can also order for curbside pickup. Our favorite braces-friendly food options: Veggie quesadilla, shrimp a la diabla and the chicken fajitas special.
- All American Pizza – 206 N Mustang Rd, Mustang, OK – All American Pizza is one of our go-to Mustang pizza restaurants. The pizza is excellent and it’s family owned. If you have braces, however, remember to avoid the pizza crust or break it into tiny pieces before eating it. They offer takeout and delivery. Our favorite braces-friendly food options: Classic cheese pizza or buffalo chicken pizza.
We hope you have a delicious meal from these Norman, Mustang and OKC restaurants with braces-friendly food. If, in between takeout orders, you’re also interested in getting a beautiful, healthy smile, schedule an in-person or digital consultation at Craig & Streight Orthodontics today!